“Medway has a vibrant and dynamic network of local community groups and Involving Medway will enable us to reach out through them to more local residents. Involving Medway is about trying something different in order to support and sustain a healthier local community, which we believe will help take some of the pressure off our primary and acute health services in the area.”
Caroline Selkirk, Accountable Officer, Medway Clinical Commissioning Group
Involving Medway is a new initiative designed to encourage people to get involved with and help make decisions about health provision in the area. The one-year pilot project is funded by Medway Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), which is responsible for planning and buying local NHS services. The pilot was launched at an event in Chatham on 29th March 2017.
Involving Medway is a partnership between seven community organisations:
- Red Zebra, a community infrastructure organisation leading Involving Medway
- Spice Innovations Limited – Which will introduce Medway Time Credits, an innovative way to reward social action and volunteering
- Kent Community Foundation – Administering small grants to fund activities to build stronger communities
- Medway Voluntary Action – Supporting voluntary and community organisations to work more closely with decision makers in health and involve residents in the design and delivery of services
- Tess Luetchford – Tess will be training a group of volunteer community health researchers to gather views and make sure residents have their voices heard.
- Arches Local – A lottery ‘Big Local’ area which provides partnership in the Luton Arches area of Chatham
- New Economics Foundation – Bringing national expertise to creating social change
The Community Grants Scheme
Grants of up to £1,500 will be available to Medway community groups looking to engage local residents to support healthier living and more active communities. We are looking for small community groups and individuals with a community-focused project that need support. These could include:
- hall hire for a coffee morning
- buying equipment for a common community space
- a day out for a carers group
- support for setting up volunteer meetings.
Grant application packs will be available in May. There will be four decision panels issuing grants to local people over the year-long pilot.
Medway Time Credits
The Time Credits scheme recognises the time given by volunteers and rewards them through credits that can be exchanged to pay for admission at local attractions and leisure activities. It will include access to a national spend network including attractions across the country. The project is currently looking for organisations to get involved and offer volunteers rewards.
To find out more or register your interest email email@example.com or call 01634 407337.
Further information about Time Credits can be found at: www.justaddspice.org.
To find out about community health grants go to Kent Community Foundation www.kentcf.org.uk.